Friday, April 19, 2013

Blink

Uh oh.  Time flies.

After struggling through the holiday season I got on track in training for the Way Too Cool 50k.  I pulled it together.  I rallied.  I was very consistent with my training and, surprisingly, felt ready.  But it was not to be.  A relative passed away and the memorial landed on the day of the race.  When I first saw the date I burst into tears.  I had worked hard.  The energy and focus is not easy to come by when attempting a new challenge.  I was SO excited.  My friend who had been on the waiting list got in, we reserved the hotel... we were pretty psyched.  Selfishness aside it was clear that I had to be with family.  So I did.  And was glad I did.

At first I thought I would just parlay the training into another 50k.  But a week later I went out for a training run that may have been hormonally influenced... but it sucked.  And I decided not to run the Diablo 50k. This sent me into some sort of spiral for about 4 weeks.  No running.  Eating horribly.  It was like a punishment.  Luckily, I came out of it... and I realized that I need to move forward.  I love trail running.

So I re-evaluated my 2013 goals.  I decided to focus on fewer races.  The Coastal Trail Runs Big Basin Marathon/50k is next.   I am very curious to explore that landscape.  It is beautiful.  There is a 50k option but I've decided to stick with the marathon distance.  Probably for the year.  At first this felt disappointing, like quitting.  But I realize that I really, really, want the WTC to be my first 50k.  So I'll enter the lottery again... and cross my fingers.  I will spend this year enjoying running, doing a couple of marathons (another attempt at the NorCalUltra Golden Hills Marthon... can I do it faster this year?!)...

I realize that the more I run long distance the more my body adapts.  This means that if I focus the year on the marathon distance then I will build a better base for the year of the 50k.  Because I have long term, crazy goals.  I want to keep pushing the distance.  I want to see how far I can go.

"You must do the thing you think you can not"... yup.



No comments:

Post a Comment